Frequently Asked Questions

My child is away at college and they do not have a vehicle with them. Do I still need to keep them on my auto policy?

Yes, you still need to have them listed on your auto policy. The personal auto policy is where they receive their first-party benefits. So if they end up in an accident while driving a friend’s vehicle, riding as a passenger in a friend’s vehicle, or riding public transportation, it will still be your personal auto policy that provides their first-party benefits. But always call us so we can amend the way they are driving your vehicles (Courtesy of Tim Flynn).

If I loan my car to someone else, is there coverage?

Generally, anyone to whom you give permission to drive your car is covered under Erie’s policy. Relatives who live in your home are automatically covered while driving your car. Drivers specifically excluded from your policy, however, are not covered. The name of any excluded driver should appear on the coverage sheet (Declarations) of your policy (Courtesy of Melissa Papola).

What is the difference between Limited and Full Tort?

Under your Auto policy, you have the option to choose between Full and Limited Tort. Limited Tort allows you to save on your premium by waiving your rights to recover certain damages, such as payment for pain and suffering, unless the injuries you sustain in an accident are defined as serious. Full Tort allows you to maintain unrestricted rights to bring suit against (Courtesy of Vanessa Pagan).

I plan on renting a car while on vacation. Does my automobile policy cover this exposure?

The rental car will have the same coverage (liability limits, deductibles) as a car you own. Also, Erie’s policy now provides for loss of use of the rental if you are legally liable for damage to it, as long as Erie is given written proof of the loss of rental income. The rental contract may make you responsible for two types of charges that Erie does not cover. The first is the “diminution in value” after a rental car is repaired. The second is “before and after,” or the difference in the rental car’s fair market value of it covered under the loss damage waiver offered by the rental car company. Be sure to pay attention to any restrictions under the waiver regarding permitted operators and vehicle usage. (Courtesy of Brad Coley).

What limit of liability is sufficient to carry on my Automobile Policy to protect myself?

What type of accident you are planning on having? Unfortunately, no one can predict the type of accident that will occur, so it is best to protect your assets within your financial means. CrossKeys Insurance recommends a minimum limit of $300,000 for bodily injury protection. Additional limits are always available by increasing the Automobile policy limit, or by purchasing a Personal Umbrella Policy (Courtesy of Stephen M. Yeity).